British and Irish Agencies working in Colombia
Agencias Británicas e Irlandesas trabajando en Colombia
ABColombia is the advocacy project of a group of five leading UK and Irish organisations with programmes in Colombia: CAFOD, Christian Aid UKI, Oxfam GB, SCIAF and Trócaire. Amnesty International and Peace Brigades International (PBI) are observers.
Founded in 1997 to work on the question of forced internal displacement, it has since expanded its mandate to cover human rights and development.
ABColombia's purpose is to influence decision makers in the UK and Ireland and, through them, European level decision making with a view to resolving the human rights and humanitarian crisis in Colombia and achieve a lasting peace and equitable and sustainable development.
1. To secure the right of the civilian population not to be involved in the armed conflict.
2. To secure the full implementation of recommendations made by the UN system with regard to human rights, internal displacement and international humanitarian law.
3. To obtain lasting solutions to the humanitarian crisis - dignified and voluntary returns to place of origin, or voluntary resettlement with guarantees.
4. To support the work of human rights defenders, social organisations, and those working with the forcibly displaced.
5. To work for a negotiated end to the armed conflict that includes the voice of Colombian civil society and prioritizes human rights and IHL on the agenda. This includes ensuring that the right to truth, justice, reparation and non repetition - as defined by the UN Office in Colombia - is built into the negotiation process.
6. To secure just and sustainable social and economic development in Colombia.
ABColombia members and observers work with around 100 partner organisations in Colombia, most of them with little access to decision-making forums nationally or internationally.
ABColombia develops the collective advocacy work of members. This work is rooted in the experiences of the organisations and communities with which members work. In addition to carrying out its core advocacy work, ABColombia also provides information and analysis to members of parliament and the Dáil, the press, and interested individuals and organisations.
ABColombia works in conjunction with other organisations and networks based in Colombia, the UK, Ireland, Europe, the USA and Canada, which share its interests in influencing decision-making and policy on Colombia in accordance with the above principles and objectives.
The Non-Executive Board of Directors ensures that ABColombia has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these. The Board is responsible for the advocacy performance of the group and its public standing and ensures that the group's governance is of the highest possible standard.
Public statements by ABColombia represent the views of all the members. Membership of ABColombia does not preclude members from issuing statements under their own responsibility.