Public Conference – Register Now!
The Colombian Peace Accord demonstrates what can be achieved by women in peace agreements. These hard won commitments on gender will be explored in terms of the innovative approaches used to obtain the gender commitments; what was achieved in terms of gender-based agreements; what the challenges are for implementation; and how the lessons learned in achieving a gender focus can benefit other peace processes.
Join the debate during our international conference with Colombian women human rights defenders, international policy-makers and academics on Wednesday, 22 November 2017. Download the conference programme by clicking on the button below.
Speakers & Structure of the Event:
Colombian women representing different sectors of society will lead discussions with a range of policy-makers and experts from the UK, the EU, Ireland, Norway, Sweden and Colombia. There will be simultaneous interpretation between English and Spanish during the entire event.
- Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon, UK Minister of State responsible for the prevention of conflict-related sexual violence;
- General Oscar Naranjo, Vice-President of Colombia (tbc);
- Justina Demetriades, Gender and Conflict Advisor, Oxfam International
Panellists will include:
- Rosa Emilia Salamanca (Director of the Corporation for Research, Social and Economic Action “CIASE”)
- Lida Emilse Paz (High Commissioner for the Cauca Regional Indigenous Council)
- Edilia Mendoza (Rural Women’s Network and elected (substitute) member of the CSIVI High-Level Women’s Advosory Commission)
- Linda Cabrera Cifuentes (Lawyer and Deputy Director of Sisma Mujer, working on women and transitional justice)
- Victoria Sandino Palmera (FARC Negotiator, joining via Skype)
- Elena Ambrosi Turbay (State Special Attorney for support of the victims of the armed conflict and the demobilised, tbc)
- Helga Flamtermesky (Coordinator of the Truth, Memory and Reconciliation Commission of Colombian Women in Diaspora)
- Annika Otterstedt (Head of Development Cooperation, Swedish Embassy Colombia)
- Hilde Salvesen (Facilitator of the Negotiations at the Norwegian MFA (gender))
- Fiona Hodgson (Co-Chair of the APPG on Women Peace and Security, UK Parliament)
- Eamon Gilmore (EU Special Envoy to the Colombian Peace Process)
- Laura Mitchell (Senior Adviser at the Norwegian Centre for Conflict Resolution “NOREF”)
Organising an international conference of this scale is quite costly for a small project like ABColombia. Buying a conference ticket helps us cover the cost for the venue and catering.
If you would like to know how you could further support ABColombia, please follow our fundraising campaign #10k4Peace on social media. More dedicated information about the campaign can also be found on ABColombia’s JustGiving page.