The Colombian Government is moving forward in the implementation of the Peace Accord with the Common Alternative Revolutionary Force (FARC) political party and is working to secure a peace deal with the National Liberation Army (ELN). However, both processes are experiencing difficulties.
Please join us in Westminster Palace on 31 January to hear expert analysis on what is happening with the peace processes, and how the UK and UK Parliamentarians can support Colombia to move forward along the road to a sustainable peace.
- Date: Wednesday, 31 January 2018
- Venue: Committee Room 4, Westminster Palace, London SW1A 0AA
- Time: 18:00-20:00
- Tickets: Free event. Email registration is required, please contact email@example.com.
- Baroness Jean Coussins, crossbench peer in the House of Lords and member of the International Relations Select Committee
- Padre Sterlin Londoño, director of the Diocesan Pastoral Action work with Afro-descendant communities in the Diocese of Quibdó and has been a key figure throughout some of the worst years of the conflict. The Diocese of Quibdó, at the request of the Colombian Government and the ELN Guerrillas, are engaged in supporting the ELN – Colombian Government Peace Talks.
- Bernadino Mosquera Palacios, president of the Community Council of Paimadó, which is Afro-Colombian collectively owned territory. He is on the front-line of the struggle to protect human, community and environmental rights in Paimadó. He has tried to stop illegal miners who are protected by illegal armed groups from damaging the community’s territory, and to get state institutions to fulfil their obligations to protect community rights. Last year he was appointed as one of 14 Guardians of the Atrato River, an institution set up following a court order by the Colombian Constitutional Court.
- H. E. Nestor Osorio, Colombian Ambassador to the UK (tbc)
- Nigel Baker, Deputy Head of the Americas, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (tbc)
- Louise Winstanley, Programme and Advocacy Manager, ABColombia
- The progress and the obstacles to sustainable peace in relation to the FARC and ELN Peace Processes.
- Hear first-hand from Bernadino Mosquera Palacios, an environmental defender and community leader, about his community’s experience in their attempt to achieve peace with social justice.
- Get up-to-date information from Father Sterlin (Diocese of Quibdó) on the Peace Processes. The Diocese of Quibdó is engaged at the request of the Colombian State and ELN in supporting the Peace Talks in Quito.
- Find out how the UK and UK politicians can support the achievement of sustainable peace in Colombia.