This written evidence focuses on human rights defenders and draws examples of work undertaken by the FCO in relation to...
Write to your MP and ask them to sign EDM #150
Following a meeting in parliament hosted by the Parliamentary Human Rights Group (PHRG) and ABColombia Patrick Grady MP tabled, on 10 February 2020, Early Day Motion (EDM) 150, calling for the effective implementation of the Peace Accord by the Colombian Government, to ensure the safety of those engaged in peaceful social protest, to seriously consider making the National Police accountable to civilian authorities rather than the Ministry of Defence, to investigate and prosecute alleged perpetrators of on-going attacks and killings of social leaders and human rights defenders, and to implement all elements of the Peace Accord, and specifically the territorial development plans (PDETs)
Colombia remains the most dangerous country in the world for Human Rights Defenders, and communities continue to suffer the impacts of the ongoing armed conflict. Please write to your MP and encourage them to sign EDM #150. You can find a template for a letter/email here.
Contact your MP
MPs have public contact details so their constituents can get in touch. In most cases you can write, phone, fax or email. MPs will generally only act on behalf of their constituents.
To see who your MP is, what their interests are and how they voted on key issues go to http://www.theyworkforyou.com and enter your postcode.
Support ABColombia members’ campaigns
One way you can get involved and take action for human rights in Colombia is by supporting the campaigns of our members and observers.
ABColombia campaigns at a glance
Support ABColombia’s Social Media Campaigns
You can support ABColombia by following us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and by sharing our posts on social media. We also encourage you to follow & share ABColombia’s social media posts under the following hashtags:
- #ColombiaWomenPeace: posts & campaigns related to Women & Peace in Colombia
- #GuardianAtrato: Information on the Atrato River & Guardianes del Atrato
- #DefendTheDefenders: International campaign in support of Human Rights Defenders at risk
- #PorUnaColombiaEnPaz: International information and awareness campaign led by Espacio de Cooperación para la Paz, a network of 29 international civil society organisations working on Colombia.
- #10k4Peace: ABColombia fundraising campaign for the 2017 International Women’s Conference (this campaign has ended now)
Mark International Days for Human Rights
Keep an eye out for ABColombia’s posts related to International Days for Human Rights and tag ABColombia in your posts on human rights!
- 8 March: International Women’s Day
- 22 March: World Water Day
- 24 March: International Day for the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims
- 9 April: Colombian National Day to commemorate the victims of the armed conflict
- 21 May: Día de la Afrocolombianidad (Colombia)
- 19 June: International Day for the Elimination of Sexual Violence in Conflict
- 9 August: International Day of the World’s Indigenous People
- 30 August: International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances
- 21 September: International Day of Peace
- 25 November: International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women
- 10 December: Human Rights Day