Two days per week (7 hours per day)
£10.89 per hour
ABColombia is looking for a dynamic person to work on issues related to human rights and development as part of the ABColombia team. The person should have a commitment to human rights and experience of working or volunteering in an organisation or a degree in human rights, development or a related subject. They should be fluent in English and have an advanced level of Spanish. Able to be flexible and work in a small team.
As an intern you would assist with carrying out research, editing the website and other communications work, the logistical planning and organisation of public events, meetings and human rights defender visits in the UK. You would also undertake a range of administrative tasks including managing information, maintaining databases, organising meetings, taking minutes, updating monitoring information, typing letters, photocopying and general administrative work.
ABColombia is the advocacy project of a group of five leading UK and Irish organisations with programmes in Colombia: CAFOD, Christian Aid UKI, Oxfam GB, SCIAF and Trócaire. Amnesty International and Peace Brigades International are observer members.
Founded in 1997 to work on the question of forced internal displacement, it has since expanded its mandate to cover human rights and development. ABColombia’s purpose is to influence decision makers in the UK and Ireland and, through them, European level decision making – with a view to resolving the human rights and humanitarian crisis in Colombia and achieve a lasting peace and equitable and sustainable development. ABColombia’s thematic areas of work are: Natural resources access and control; Land and territory; Conflict transformation and peace building; Women and conflict-related sexual violence; and Protection of defenders and their working space.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist with research.
- Provide logistical support for public and in-house events.
- Assist with publicity and social media work around and during events.
- Assist in drafting texts for ABColombia’s communications and advocacy work
- Read, monitor, filter and manage incoming information
- Respond to emails providing information requested
- Read, monitor, filter news on Colombia in English and Spanish and produce a weekly newsletter for members
- Organise meetings and take minutes
- Provide logistical support for visits to the UK by representatives of Colombian civil society.
- Support the implementation of ABColombia’s social media strategy.
- Carry out general administrative tasks, including drafting letters, photocopying etc.
- Use and contribute to ABColombia office systems, including paper and computer filing systems.
- Update monitoring databases, analyse and provide information for ABColombia Reports and monitoring
- Provide other support to ABColombia where appropriate and agreed.
- Ability to read and summarise information from a variety of sources (in English and Spanish)
- Research and organisational skills
- Good verbal and written communications skills in English and Spanish
- Self-motivated, and able to work independently while functioning well as a member of a small team
- Educated to degree level or experience working or volunteering in an organisation.
- Good time keeping
- Demonstrable understanding of human rights and development issues
- Candidates must be in sympathy with the aims of the ABColombia Group.
- This is a 7-month post working 2 days a week.
This position is based in our office near Waterloo in London. You would be expected to attend in person unless the covid context prevents it.
How to apply
Please submit your
- CV in English.
- A Cover letter in which you state: why you want to intern at ABColombia, what skills you are bringing to the post, and outline your Spanish language abilities (maximum 3 pages).
- One writing sample in English on a topic of your choice related to human rights (no more than 2 pages).
- References: Two listed with emails and phone numbers.
Please submit your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 December 2021
When emailing us your application please include ‘Administration and Advocacy Paid Internship’ in the subject line.